Thursday, March 24, 2011

Charitable Giving

I stood behind an elderly woman at Walgreens and watched as she pulled out a battered coin purse to pay for her meager purchases of a few cans of tuna and some raisins. She was searching for a dime and couldn't find one and I offered her one. She took it gratefully and with some embarrassment. I kicked myself afterward, wishing I had done more. I spoke with the cashier again about the fixed incomes of seniors and how the economy has made dire straights for so many. She mentioned how many she sees like this weekly. It has bothered me and I have decided to start doing something about it! I am going to find an organization that accepts personal care products for seniors and if I can't find one I am going to have to start my own. Off my soapbox and back to coupons. Blush...




Walgreens had their Tena Ultra Thin pads on sale this week for $9.99 with a RR back of $10. I found some coupons on the Tena site; one for $2.50 off and one for $2.00 off. I did the transaction twice and actually made back a bit of money and now have some valuable items for donation!

Total spent on these transactions; I paid $8.41 and received back $10 in RR which is a surplus of  $1.59.
On the second transaction I paid $8.91, got back $10 in RR and made $1.09.
YTD to spend is now $1.02 ( at least I have a positive cash flow again!)
I received products worth $29.98
YTD savings is $573.24

No comments:

Post a Comment